🎞️ View video tutorial: Starting encounters and recording encounter notes
The encounter section of the chart allows you to do the most common tasks you'll do to track patient interactions. This includes recording notes, prescribing medications, filling in forms, creating bills, and more.
You can start an encounter from:
the Visits dashboard
the patient's chart
1. Do one of the following:
From your schedule, click the patient's appointment, and then click Encounter.
From the main toolbar, click Visits, then click the patient's appointment. A new window appears. Select Start Encounter. This automatically links your encounter with the appointment and populates any presenting issues, Qnaires, and templates. It also updates the appointment status to Being Seen.
With the patient's chart open, do any of the following:
* In the dashboard view, under Quick Menu, select the + icon beside Encounters.
* In the dashboard view, under Latest Encounters, click Start New.
* Click the Start/Open menu, then select Start New Encounter.
2. If the encounter was started from the schedule or the Visits dashboard, then the encounter and appointment are already linked. If you started from the patient's chart and the patient has an appointment today, you are invited to link the encounter with that appointment.
Choose the appointment, or click Skip.
3. By default, a Select Template window appears, giving you the option to select an encounter template. Do one of the following:
To choose a template, click it in the column on the left, and then click Apply this template.
If you do not want to use a template, or if no template is suitable, click Close.
4. Your encounter opens, ready to document your patient's visit.
💡 Tip: If you do not use encounter templates on a daily basis, you can disable the default. Click Do not open this dialog by default.
If you change your mind, click Template in the top right corner of the screen while in an encounter to open the Select Template window.
You are now ready to enter information in the encounter. See the following topics:
Add automated follow-up Qnaires. See Creating scheduled or follow-up Qnaires.
Updated June 9, 2022