You can create letters from a patient chart without starting from an encounter. For example, you may want to write a letter to an insurance company or lawyer about the patient or create a "sick note" letter for a patient to provide to their employer.
1. From the patient chart, click Start/Open > Letters. A list of the patient's existing letters appears.
2. Click New Letter.
3. To create the letter using a template, in the top-right corner, click Template, select the one to use and then click Apply this template.
4. In the Recipient field, search for and select the recipient. You can search for a contact using their name, billing code, occupation, or facility name.
5. In the CC field, search for and select the recipients to receive a copy.
6. In the Letter title field, edit the title as required.
7. In the body of the letter, type the text of the letter. If the template you selected contains variables, the values are automatically pulled from the patient chart and underlined within the text. If the variable does not automatically populate with information, this means that the information is missing from the chart.
8. When you are done, click Save.
9. Send the letter using one of the following options at the bottom of the letter:
PDF: Generates a PDF to print, fax, or download.
Signed PDF: Generates a PDF with your digital signature at the bottom of the letter to print, fax, email, or download.
Message: Attaches the letter in a message to another user within your clinic.
Referral: Sends the letter to another provider as referral (internal to your clinic or outgoing to another location).
Print Signed: Prints the letter.
Fax Signed: Faxes the letter to the recipient.
Updated September 21, 2023