Each patient must have a unique identifier in the TELUS Collaborative Health Record (CHR) to prevent duplicate patients. You can add additional patient identifications, such as the PHN or health cards for other provinces or a private chart number. You can select which ID is the default one that is chosen within patient demographics.
1. From the main toolbar, click Settings > Patient.
2. In the Patient Identification section, click Add Identification.
The New Identification window opens.
3. Enter the identifier information, as described in the following table:
Identification Name (required)
Type a name for the identification.
Auto Assign Unique Value
When adding a provincial insurer identification, always select No.
To generate a unique ID number for each new patient, select Yes. This is useful for private-paying patients.
Identification Visible Name
If your CHR is configured so patients can view their identifier in the patient portal, you can type a different identifier name that will be visible in the portal.
If you want the name of the insurer (Identification name) to be visible in the portal, leave this field blank.
To enable patients to view their identifier in the patient portal, select Yes.
If using the billing module, select the identifier's issuer (such as MSP or Ontario Health Insurance Plan). This ensures that the correct provincial insurer information is used.
⚠️ Important: If you do not set an Issuer for a provincial identifier, out of province bills will be rejected and electronic labs will not match up with the patient.
📌 Note: When you select an Issuer, the CHR checks the health card for validation errors when you add a new patient.
When adding adding eClaim-specific patient identifiers to your CHR, select [CA/] TELUS eClaims.
If desired, add a link to the identification issuer's web site.
5. Click Save. The identifier is added to the list and available from patient demographics.
4. To make an identifier the default one when adding new patients, hover your cursor over it and click Make Primary. A blue bar appears next to the primary identifier.
Updated September 7, 2023