You can open a PDF copy of the prescription to preview it and, from there, download, print, email, or fax the PDF prescription. When opening a PDF you can specify the intended recipient and set your location, the phone and fax numbers to appear on the prescription, and choose if you want to include a cover page.
Downloading a PDF bypasses the option to set the intended recipient as well as the other PDF options like including a cover page.
📌 Note: you cannot download or open a PDF copy of the prescription from the list of a patient's prescriptions (Start/Open > Prescriptions).
Steps to open a PDF prescription
1. Click the open PDF button from the Prescription Dialog or the Prescriptions area of the encounter. Once the prescription is signed, you can open the PDF either with or without the signature.
📌 Note: If the prescription hasn't been signed, it will be signed when you click the button to open a PDF. Also, from the Prescriptions area of an encounter you can only download a PDF of an unsigned prescription (see steps below).
2. In the Intended Recipient window, choose a recipient to appear in the PDF header.
If the patient has a preferred pharmacy recorded, you can select Patient's preferred pharmacy as the intended recipient. Otherwise, click Select Facility, Select Recipient, or click Skip to not include a recipient.
If you select a facility or recipient, a search box appears where you can type the text to search for and then select from a list of matching facilities or recipients.
3. In the PDF Settings window, from the appropriate list, select the Location and Phone/Fax number you want to appear on the PDF prescription. And choose a Cover Page from the list if you'd like to include one.
💡 Tip: if you make any changes, you can Save as my default PDF settings so the selected options are remembered for the next time you open a PDF prescription. If you do this, you may also want to select the checkbox Do not open this dialog by default, so you will not see this window going forward.
4. After specifying your PDF Settings, click Save.
5. The PDF prescription is generated and appears in a window. From here, you can download a copy of the PDF to your computer, change the PDF settings, and print, email, or fax the prescription.
6. Click Close when you are finished.
Steps to download a PDF prescription
1. Click the download PDF button from the Prescription Dialog or the Prescriptions area of the encounter.
📌 Note: If the prescription hasn't been signed, it will be signed when you click the button to download PDF.
📌 Note: if the prescription has been signed, in the Prescription Dialog you can only open a PDF copy of the prescription (see steps above).
2. A PDF copy of the prescription is downloaded directly to your computer.
💡 Tip: If the patient has a preferred pharmacy recorded, it is included as the intended recipient on the prescription.
Updated September 23, 2021