You can bill a third party directly for any service or product that they are responsible for paying. Typical third parties include lawyers or private insurance.
If you are a provider, the standard and most efficient way to create bills is from within an encounter that is associated to an appointment.
To make your workflow even more efficient, you can add billing items to encounter templates if you use the same billing codes for routine visits and/or presenting issues. See Adding billing items to encounter templates.
📌 Note: If you do not see a third party billing template for a certain payer, confirm or create one. Go to Settings > Billing, click the gear icon beside Billing Item Templates. The TELUS Collaborative Health Record (CHR) has a default template called Third Party. You can also create your own. See Third-party invoice templates.
1. From the encounter note, go to the Billing Items section. Under Insured Payment Detail, click Template and ensure that your third-party template is selected. The default template is called Third Party but you may have additional ones configured (see Private and third-party billing code templates).
2. Complete or change the following bill fields, as necessary.
Select Third Party, or if you have additional third-party billing templates configured, select the one you want to use. To create new templates, see Private and third-party billing code templates. The codes associated with your selected template are now available for you to search.
If you are a provider, by default your name is displayed. If you are not a provider, you must select a billing practitioner. Click No Provider Selected, and then click No Provider Selected again in the window that appears. Search for the appropriate provider.
If you have more than one location, select the location where the patient was seen from the list.
3. Click Insured Billing, or to select a past billed item, click the history icon to look at the historical billing.
4. The Edit Billing Item window opens. Search and select the Code/Description to pull an item associated with your billing template.
5. If there is anything you need to change, select it and make changes. You can also manually add the details without selecting a Code.
📌 Note: Diagnosis codes added to the billing item are saved only in the billing item.
Date of Service/Time
6. Click outside of the Edit Billing Item window to exit.
7. If you want to add another item, click + Insured Billing again.
8. Click Save, and the billing item is saved as a draft.
9. Before you can change the status of the billing item to Ready To Submit or Attention Required, you must Sign the encounter note.
10. After the encounter note is signed, click Draft in the Status column for the billing item. The Edit Insured Payment window opens.
11. Next to Status, click Draft to update the status.
12. Click Save.
Updated January 05, 2023