You can create a PDF invoice to print, email or fax to the patient or third party. This can be done at the time of payment, or after. To customize your invoice template, refer to Third-party invoice templates. You record full or partial payments for any third party bills and keep track of any outstanding bills.
Steps to collect payment
1. From the patient chart, click Start/Open > Insured Billing, or from an encounter note, go to the Billing Items section.
2. Click the billing item you want to make a payment for, and the Edit Insured Payment window opens.
3. Next to the billing item, click Payment in the Paid column, and the Payment window opens.
4. Next to Paid, click +, and the Add Payment window appears.
5. Complete the payment details.
Select a payment method from the list (e.g. Cash, Debit Card).
Change currency or amount.
Defaults to today's date. To change the date the payment was made, click the calendar icon.
Add an internal note associated with the payment. Shows in the History section of the payment window.
6. Click Submit. The Paid, Processed and Unpaid amounts in the billing item are updated.
7. The following items are in the Payment window. Update any of the following items in the Payment window.
The billing item total.
The amount you are expecting to collect. Includes Discount, Paid and Wrote Off, does not include Refunded.
The total discount on the invoice. Click + to add a discount.
💡 Tip: Add the discount reason to the note section.
The total amount paid. Click + to make a payment. Includes, Cash, Credit Card, Debit Card, Co-Payment, Bank Transfer and Cheque.
The total refund. Click + and record the transaction details. To bring the balance owing back to 0, add the amount you refunded to either Wrote Off or Discount.
The total amount written off. Click + and record the transaction details.
💡 Tip: Add the reason you wrote off the claim to the note section.
The total amount outstanding on the billing item. Calculated as Total Amount minus Processed.
Shows all transaction items, including a time stamp. Click X to delete the transaction. Click the pencil icon to edit the payment or view the payment note.
8. Click Close, and the payment is recorded.
9. So that you can filter in the billing dashboard accurately for any outstanding bills, from the Status list at the top, choose Mark as Completed, or the status you would like to use.
10. Click Save in the Edit Insured Payment window.
Steps to create a PDF invoice
From the patient chart, click Start/Open > Insured Billing, or from an encounter note, navigate to the Billing Items section.
Click the billing item you want to make an invoice for, and the Edit Insured Payment window opens.
At the top-right corner, click the printer icon and the PDF Settings window opens. If you want to include a cover page, select it from the list otherwise select None.
📌 Note: If you do not see this button, contact the TELUS Health support team through the support chat. Contact us to make sure you have an invoice template configured for this custom billing template.
Click Save, and the Insured Payment window opens.
At the top-right corner, click to Save, Print, Email or Fax the invoice.
💡 Tip: Clicking Save adds the invoice to the Patients Files section of the chart.
After sending the invoice, re-open the billing item and click its current Status
From the Status list, choose Submitted or another status you use to track outstanding bills.
Updated January 20, 2023