⚠️ Important: This is currently a beta feature, available to a few CHR beta users in order to test and provide feedback. It will be available to more users once the beta period is complete.
The Healthcare Directory is a cloud-based address book of pan-Canadian healthcare contacts. The directory contains physicians and facilities such as pharmacies, labs, and diagnostic imaging facilities. The list of physicians is updated quarterly, and pharmacies, labs, and diagnostic imaging facilities are updated annually.
In most places where you search for a contact in the CHR, results from the Healthcare Directory are displayed in addition to your local contacts. For example, when faxing a prescription, addressing a letter, and sending a referral, letter, or form, you will see any matching results from the Healthcare Directory.
From the search results, you can quickly add a contact from the Healthcare Directory to your local CHR contacts. The contact information from the Healthcare Directory will be auto-populated for you.
1. To search the Healthcare Directory to populate your CHR Contacts, from the main menu, click Contacts and then click the magnifying glass. Otherwise, you can search the Healthcare Directory when you are:
Faxing a prescription
Faxing a form
Selecting the recipient of a letter
Selecting the service provider for an outgoing referral
Sending a referral
Adding a patient's preferred pharmacy
2. Select the appropriate type of search from the list (e.g. Facility, Contact Name, Full Search) and then begin typing part of the name of the contact or facility.
💡 Tip: Use Full Search to search for a combination of criteria, such as specialty and city. For example, "cardiology calgary".
📌 Note: You cannot search the Healthcare Directory by Billing Code. If you search for a provider by Billing Code, only matches from your local CHR Contacts list will be displayed.
3. The TELUS CHR automatically searches your local facilities list, as well as the Healthcare Directory, and a list of matching contacts or facilities appears. Matches from your local Contacts list appear before Healthcare Directory contacts. Contacts that were found in the Healthcare Directory display with a cloud icon to the left of the name.
💡 Tip: Healthcare Directory contacts are displayed in order of proximity to the patient or your clinic (depending on where you started the search from).
When you are sending a fax and searching for a contact from the Healthcare Directory, only contacts with a fax number are displayed.
The CHR displays a maximum of 100 matching results. If there are more than 100 that match your search criteria, text appears at the top of the results and indicates that not all results are displayed. Refine your search to return fewer results.
4. Click Add to add the contact or facility to your local Contacts list.
📌 Note: If you select a Healthcare Directory contact as the service provider in an outgoing referral, the provider is automatically added to your local Contacts list.
5. The Create Facility window appears with the information from the Healthcare Directory pre-populated for you. Enter any additional information you may need, and click Save.
The facility is added to your CHR.
6. If you are adding a provider, you are first prompted to create a facility as above, and then the New Contact window appears. Enter any additional information you may need, and click Save.
The provider is added to your CHR.
Updated March 13, 2023