Free text questions are used when you want your patients to answer a question using text instead of selecting a choice option from a list of alternatives. This allows the patient to elaborate and be very precise.
📌 Note: You cannot generate graphs with free text questions.
1. From the Questions page within a new or existing Qnaire, click +New Question. See Creating Qnaires for information on how to navigate to the Questions page.
A New Content box with all the possible question types appears.
2. Under Choose Type, Click Text
A New Question box appears.
3. Click the the New Question field. The field expands.
📌 Note: To edit a question, click the question that you want to edit and the field expands.
4. Complete the applicable sections using the below table:
Type the question.
Question Subtext (optional)
Type any additional information related to the question.
This appears under the question.
Question Label (optional)
To change the way the question appears (shortened) in the Qnaire responses, type the label.
Question: What are some of your symptoms?
The question appears on the answer sheet in the patient's chart as Symptoms.
Select display type
Select Single line if the answer field should only be one line.
Select Multiple line if the answer field is big enough for multiple lines.
Select Yes to make the question optional to complete or No to make it mandatory.
Pre-fill from Qnaire Variable
Qnaire Variable Name (Optional)
This is used for exporting purposes (simple exports / data slices).
Type a name/ code you want to see when exporting data.
Natural Language Conversion (Optional)
Allows you to convert a patient's response into a sentence that appears in an encounter note under the History section.
Text question types pull the words or sentences entered by the patient as the answer.
Update Patient Data
Select, if you want to update patient data in the patient chart. See Linking Qnaire responses to patient data for more information.
📌 Note: You can modify the patient data by clicking Edit.
5. Click Close Question in the bottom-right corner.
📌 Note: By default there are four empty New Option fields under the question. If you do not need a new option field, hover over it and in the right corner click X to delete, and Okay to confirm.
6. To configure a choice option click the New Option field, or +New Choice to add another one.
The field expands.
7. Complete the applicable fields. For more information, see Adding choice options to your Qnaire questions.
8. Click Close Choice, to continue adding choices, creating, or editing the Qnaire.
Updated June 3, 2022