If you're a specialist or a provider who receives referrals, when you bill the province for services, if a Referring Practitioner recorded in the patient's chart the referring practitioner is automatically added to each billing item (service code). If the patient doesn't have a referring practitioner recorded, or if you want to change the referring practitioner on the bill, in the billing item(s), you can add or modify the referring practitioner.
2. Add a billing item (service code) to the bill or click to edit a billing item. See Adding and modifying billing items (service codes) for MSP bills (British Columbia).
3. In the Edit Teleplan Billing Item window, select the Show Advanced Fields checkbox. The Advanced Fields area appears.
4. Select the Referring Practitioner checkbox. The referring practitioner 1 area appears.
💡 Tip: To save time, you can set the Show Advanced Fields and Referring Practitioner checkboxes to be selected by default. See Setting Advanced Fields and referring practitioner to display by default in billing items.
5. Under referring practitioner 1, in the Type drop-down, leave By selected.
6. Click the Search icon, and search for the referring practitioner by name specialty, facility, etc. The provider's Name and Number are added.
📌 Note: If the referring practitioner you want doesn't display in the search results, add them as a contact and then search for and select the added contact, or type their Name and billing Number in the Edit Teleplan Billing Item window.
7. If the claim requires both a referring provider and a refer-to provider (for example, if the claim is for a no-charge referral):
a) Select the Sub-Referring Practitioner checkbox.
b) Under referring practitioner 2, in the Type drop-down, select To.
c) Click the Search icon, and search for the refer-to practitioner by name specialty, facility, etc. The provider's Name and Number are added.
8. Repeat steps 2-7 for each of the bill's billing items (service codes).
Updated: January 6, 2022