If you are a provider, the standard and most efficient way to bill a third-party insurer for a visit is from an encounter. If you start the encounter from the appointment, the bill is automatically linked to the appointment - making it easier to confirm that all your appointments are billed.
1. Start an encounter from an appointment. See Other appointment actions.
2. If applicable, select an encounter template (with or without billing items added). See Starting an encounter.
3. In the Billing Items section of the encounter, complete or change the Insured Payment Detail and TELUS eClaims Payment Detail fields as necessary. For more information and detailed descriptions of the fields, refer to Modifying a TELUS eClaims billing practitioner, location and other bill details.
4. To add a billing item (service code) to the bill, click +Insured Billing.
A New TELUS eClaim Billing Item window appears.
5. Complete the relevant fields using the below table:
1. If you want to search by code, start typing the code in the first search box.
2. If you want to search by description, start typing the description in the second search box.
3. Matches are displayed; select one from the list.
💡 Tip: Select the star icon next to the specific code to save the code to your favourites. Every time you create a bill, the starred favourites appear first in the list.
📌Note: The fee code list that appears is based on the Practitioner Profile (provider role) you selected.
Type the fee amount in CAD.
📌Note: The only eClaims supported Billing Item Template is the pre-configured TELUS eClaims. This template has all the codes and descriptions, however no default base amounts.
💡Tip: To save time, you can create billing templates with set amounts.
If the service you provided is not time-based, type the number of units or click the up or down arrow to change the number of units.
If you are logged in as a billing provider and the patient had a recent (past) appointment booked in your schedule, the date defaults to the appointment date.
If you are not a billing provider, the date defaults to the Visit Date specified at the top of the encounter.
To change the date for the specific billing item, click the calendar icon.
The Start Time defaults to the appointment time.
To add the time you finished seeing the patient, click the clock icon.
Time Spent (in minutes) is automatically populated when you enter the start and finish times.
6. To save your changes, click outside the Billing Item window when you are finished adding the service code.
7. To add additional service codes, click + Insured Billing.
8. To edit a billing item, click it and make the required changes.
9. To delete a billing item, click it and click the trash can icon in the top-right corner.
10. Save or Sign the encounter.
Updated September 7, 2023