You can start a virtual visit for a patient with or without an appointment. The patient must be in the Pathway (usually the Pre Visit phase) in order to start the virtual visit.
If the patient does not have an appointment booked, and you do not wish to book one, see Starting an unscheduled virtual visit for more information on adding the patient to the Pathway in order to start a visit.
If the patient has an appointment booked, the patient will automatically move to the Pre Visit Pathway phase by the time set in the appointment type setup, if set, otherwise 5 minutes before the scheduled appointment time or when the patient joins the visit.
💡 Tip: if the patient isn't yet showing in the Pathway, you can manually add them. For more information, see Manually adding a patient with an appointment to a Pathway.
1. Open the patient chart:
By opening the appointment and then selecting Encounter or Open Chart, or
By opening Pathways from the main menu and selecting the appointment card for the patient from the Pre Visit or Visit column. 📌 Note: Ensure you have set the Pathways filter to include virtual visits (see Customizing your view of Pathways for more information).
2. The active Pathway for the patient appears in the left pane of the chart.
3. Select the appointment card to expand it and see the virtual visit options. From here you can change the phase, see whether the patient has signed into the visit, resend an invitation to the patient, start the visit, assign tasks and tags, and send chat messages to the patient.
For more information on assigning tasks and tags, see Assigning tasks and tags to a virtual visit.
For more information on the chat functionality, see Sending and receiving chat messages for a virtual visit.
💡 Tip: the patient receives the invitation to the virtual visit 5 minutes before the appointment time. If the patient has not signed in, you can resend the invitation by clicking Send Invitation.
4. The patient must provide camera and microphone access and accept the agreement (provide consent to the virtual visit) before they can join the visit. If the patient has signed in but has not yet completed these steps, the icons will be grey. You cannot start the visit until the patient completes all three steps.
💡 Tip: these icons will refresh automatically as the patient completes the steps. You can also click the refresh icon.
5. Once the patient has checked in and the icons are green, you can Start Video Chat.
6. A message appears indicating that a video chat is only available if the patient is checked in. Click Do Not Show This Message Again if you do not want to see this message every time you start a video chat. Click Okay to continue.
📌 Note: If you Start Video Chat before the patient has signed in, when they do sign in they are not prompted to accept a call from you and your screen will show Waiting. You will not be able to see or hear each other.
7. You may be prompted to provide camera and microphone access. Click Allow.
8. The virtual visit opens and the patient's name appears in the panel on the left. You can now begin your visit with the patient. For more information, see Conducting and ending a virtual visit.
9. At this point (or earlier in the process), you should change the Phase from Pre Visit to Visit, to indicate the patient is being seen.
Updated July 22, 2021