If you are a provider, the standard and most efficient way to bill Manitoba Health for a visit is from an encounter. If you start the encounter from the appointment, the bill is automatically linked to the appointment - making it easier to confirm that all your appointments are billed.
💡 Tip: If you use the same billing codes for certain appointment types or presenting issues, you can add billing items to encounter templates - allowing you to create a bill in a snap. Refer to Adding billing items to encounter templates.
⚠️ Important: Before you can bill through the CHR, the provider's user account must be integrated with Manitoba Health. Refer to Integrating your CHR account with Manitoba Health.
1. Start an encounter from an appointment. Refer to Other appointment actions.
2. If applicable, select an encounter template (with or without billing items added). Refer to Starting an encounter.
3. In the Billing Items section of the encounter, if needed, modify the Insured Payment Detail or Manitoba Health Payment Detail information for the bill.
4. To add a billing item (service code) to the bill, click Insured Billing.
📌 Note: If you selected an encounter template with insured billing items added, the billing items are displayed. Click a billing item to modify or delete it.
5. Enter the service code information. Refer to Adding and modifying billing items (service codes) to your provincial bills (Manitoba).
💡 Tip: You can reuse the patient past insured billing items by clicking the icon next to Insured Billing and selecting the billing item.
6. To save the billing item, click outside the Edit Manitoba Health Billing Item window. The service code is added to the bill.
7. To add additional service codes, click Insured Billing.
8. To edit a billing item, click it and make the required changes.
9. To delete a billing item, click it and click the trash can icon in the top-right corner.
10. Sign the Encounter.
📌 Note: The billing items do not appear in the Insured Billing of the patient's chart or in the Billing dashboard until you sign the encounter.
If your default billing status is Ready to Submit and there are no errors with the bill, the claim is submitted to Manitoba Health. The claim status updates to Submitted.
⚠️ Important: The CHR has built-in billing rules for certain codes and specialities. When you save a billing item, a validation takes place. If there is any incorrect or missing information (such as a diagnosis or a billing practitioner) in your bill and your default billing status is:
Draft - an error appears and the encounter is not signed. Fix the issue and attempt to sign the encounter again.
Ready to Submit - the encounter is signed but the bill is not submitted to Manitoba Health. The status of the claim is Attention Required and the individual bill items have a status of Invalid. Fix the issue. Once there are no errors, change the claim status back to Ready to Submit so the claim can be submitted to Manitoba Health.
💡 Tip: You can set the default status for new bills. Refer to Setting the default billing item status for your account for more information.
Updated March 27, 2023