You can start a virtual visit for a patient with or without an appointment. The patient must be in the pathway (usually the Pre Visit phase) in order to start the virtual visit.
If the patient does not have an appointment booked, and you do not wish to book one, you can add the patient to the Pathway in order to start a virtual visit (see Starting an unscheduled virtual visit).
If the patient has an appointment booked, the patient automatically moves to the Pre Visit Pathway phase by the time set up within the appointment type (if set), otherwise, 5 minutes before the scheduled appointment time or when the patient joins the visit.
💡 Tip: if the patient doesn't yet appear in the Pathway, you can manually add them. For more information, see Manually adding a patient with an appointment to a Pathway.
1. Open the patient chart using one of the following methods:
Open the appointment and then click Encounter or Open Chart.
From the main menu, click Pathways and, from the Pre Visit or Visit column, select the appointment card for the patient.
📌Note: Ensure you have set the Pathways filter to include virtual visits (see Customizing your view of Pathways).
2. The active Pathway for the patient appears in the left pane of the chart.
3. Select the appointment card to expand it and see the virtual visit options. From here, you can change the phase, see whether the patient has signed into the visit, resend an invitation to the patient, start the visit, assign tasks and tags, and send chat messages to the patient.
For more information about assigning tasks and tags, see Assigning tasks and tags to a virtual visit.
For more information about the chat functionality, see Sending and receiving chat messages for a virtual visit.
💡 Tip: The patient receives the invitation to the virtual visit 5 minutes before the appointment time. If the patient has not signed in, you can resend the invitation by clicking Send Invitation.
4. The patient must provide camera and microphone access and accept the virtual visit agreement (provide consent to the virtual visit) before they can join the visit. If the patient has signed in but has not yet completed these steps, the icons will be grey.
💡 Tip: These icons refresh automatically as the patient completes the steps. You can also click the refresh icon.
5. Once the patient is checked in and the icons are green, click Start Video Chat.
6. A message appears indicating that a video chat is only available if the patient is checked in. Click Do Not Show This Message Again if you do not want to see this message every time you start a video chat. Click Okay to continue.
📌 Note: If you start the video chat before the patient signs in, when they do sign in, they will not be prompted to accept a call from you and your screen will display Waiting. You will not be able to see or hear each other.
7. You may be prompted to provide camera and microphone access. Click Allow.
8. The virtual visit opens and the patient's name appears in the panel on the left. You can now begin your visit with the patient. For more information, see Conducting and ending a virtual visit.
9. At this point (or earlier in the process), you should change the Phase from Pre Visit to Visit, to indicate the patient is being seen.
Updated December 17, 2021