The Visits dashboard allows staff and providers to manage bills from a list of appointments. It can be useful if:
You need to create, review and submit bills for providers without opening patient charts
You are a provider and want to do all your billing at the end of the day
📌 Note: If you're billing for a patient who does not have an appointment booked (for example, for a hospital visit), you can create a bill from the Insured Billing area of the patient's chart. See Creating provincial (AHCIP) bills from patient charts (Alberta).
⚠️ Important: Before you can bill AHCIP through the CHR, the provider's user account must be integrated with H-Link. See Integrating your CHR account with H-Link.
1. From the main menu, click Visits. The Visits dashboard appears with a list of today's appointments.
💡 Tip: You can filter the Visits dashboard by location, date, provider, appointment type and status. See Filtering the Visits dashboard. You can also change the view of the dashboard. See Customizing the Visits dashboard.
2. Select an appointment from the list. An information window appears.
📌 Note: If you click a patient's name instead of the appointment, the patient's chart opens in a new window.
3. Click the Insured tab.
4. Perform one of the following actions:
If you're creating a new bill, click Add Insured Payment
If you're reviewing or editing a bill that's already been created (for example, if the provider created the bill from the encounter), click the bill.
The New Insured Payment window opens.
5. If needed, modify the bill details. See Modifying a provincial (AHCIP) bill's billing practitioner, location and other bill details.
6. To add a billing item (service code) to the bill, click +Add Fee Item and, in the Edit Alberta HLink Billing Item window, complete the applicable fields. See Adding and modifying billing items (service codes) for AHCIP bills (Alberta).
💡 Tip: You can reuse the patient past insured billing items by clicking the icon next to +Add Fee Item and selecting the billing item.
7. To save the billing item, click outside the Edit Alberta HLink Billing Item window. The service code is added to the bill.
8. To add additional service codes, click +Add Fee Item again.
9. To edit a billing item, click it and make the required changes.
10. To delete a billing item, click it and click the trash can icon in the top-right corner.
11. To add internal only notes to the bill, in the Internal Notes field, type your notes.
For example, you can add notes for a billing clerk who reviews your bills before they're sent, or, if you're not finished, you can note where you left off or note questions you need answered.
📌 Note: These notes are not included in the submitted claim.
12. To submit the bill to H-Link, at the top of the window, in the Status drop-down, select Ready to Submit. Otherwise, leave Draft selected.
💡 Tip: You can set the default status for new bills. See Setting the default billing item status for your account for more information.
13. Click Save. If the bill's Status is Ready to Submit and the CHR doesn't identify any errors, the claim is submitted to H-Link at 11 a.m. or 3:30 p.m. The claim status updates to Submitted.
⚠️ Important: The CHR has built-in billing rules for certain codes and specialities. When you save a billing item, a validation takes place. If there is any incorrect or missing information (such as a diagnosis or a billing practitioner) in your bill and your default billing status is:
Draft - an error appears and the bill is not saved or submitted. Fix the issue and attempt to save it again.
Ready to Submit - the bill is saved, but is not submitted to H-Link. The status of the claim changes to Attention Required and the individual bill items have a status of Invalid. Fix the issue, and then change the bill's Status back to Ready to Submit so the claim can be submitted to H-Link.
14. Click outside the window to get back to the Visits dashboard.
Updated June 29, 2022